Full-time $11.41 / hour
AM PM Staffing is hiring for a Shop Mechanic Helper for our client in St. Charles Parish. Under close supervision, performs a variety of manual labor work to assist a mechanic and other general functions of a Public Works Department garage. Employee is responsible for performing routine maintenance on motor vehicles, including changing and repairing tires, and for traveling to obtain motor vehicle parts. Employee is also responsible for routine janitorial work in the garage office, and for assisting in various manual labor work in the field as requested. Employee is subject to the usual hazards of work in a large machine shop. Reports to the Shop Foreman.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION:
- Examines tires for wear, and repairs or replaces tires as necessary; rotates, mounts and balances tires on motor vehicles.
- Drains and changes oil and other fluids; flushes lines.
- Assists in making repairs to engines; may adjust or repair valves, carburetors, generators and related units; replaces worn or defective parts.
- Assists in making repairs to clutches, differentials, brakes, steering mechanisms and relates units; replaces worn or defective parts. -Travels to other sites to obtain parts and supplies.
- Washes vehicles and equipment; sweeps and polices shop area and adjacent office; cleans restroom.
- Performs various manual labor tasks associated with Public Works projects, as assigned.
- May sort and deliver incoming mail.
- Performs other related work as required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Have some experience in automotive garage work.
- Any combination of experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must posses a valid Louisiana driver’s license.
- Must pass background and drug screenings.