Full-time $18.13 / hour
AM PM Staffing is hiring for a Distribution Maintenance Tech for our client in St. Charles Parish. Under general supervision, performs specialized and skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of potable water production, treatment and distribution systems. Work involves insuring that safe and potable drinking water is always available for commercial, residential and fire protection work at all times. Employee is responsible for repairing and maintaining approximately 400 miles of transmission and distribution lines that carry potable water to customers. Employee is considered essential personnel and must report to work in times of natural disasters; and is on 24-hour call. Reports to the Distribution Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs distribution maintenance duties; installs, maintains, and repairs meters, water lines, fire hydrants, valves, appurtenances, vehicles, grounds and assigned facilities; prepares wet taps on water lines.
- Protects the water quality in the distribution system; assures that no outside contaminates are able to enter the system; performs water testing and sampling; performs chlorination duties.
- Monitors the digging and construction of other agencies in the distribution system and minimizes the possibility of damage and/or bacteriological contamination of the system.
- Completes work orders and other required reports completely and accurately.
- Monitors inventories of materials.
- Maintains and cleans equipment, property, and grounds.
- Reads and records meter readings.
- Must be on call and work overtime as required.
- Checks and maintains distribution main lines.
- Maintains records of water system and prepares related reports. Performs preventative maintenance and minor repair of equipment, including lubrication of motors and pumps.
- Assist and advises meter readers ensuring adherence to establish policies and procedures and standards.
- Maintains and performs minor repair work on pumps and other equipment, re–packs valves and pumps, change oil and filters, replace fittings.
- Maintains general cleanliness of the water distribution system and performs various grounds keeping tasks such as upkeep of all equipment and vehicles.
- Attends seminars, conferences, workshops, lectures, ect., and reviews professional journals, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the water field.
- Probes ground to locate water lines. -Collect samples for Department of Health and Hospital. -Complies with American Water Works Association (AWWA) standards.
- Uses a variety of specialized tools, instruments, and calibration equipment.
- Follows rules of contact, safety rules, and emergency procedures. -Work with chemicals such as chlorine that could have acute effects on human health and well-being as well with asbestos pipe.
- Collects GPS coordinates in the field as needed.
- Notifies electric, wastewater, gas or other utility companies of the need to cross utility lines.
- Receives and relays citizen complaints, requests, or suggestions to proper authorities.
- Prioritize and ensure that general work is performed in a timely fashion.
- To update, compile and enter new data in client’s mapping system.
- Ensures that work being done and materials being used by waterworks’ personnel and contractors abide by client’s specifications and in accordance with AWWA standards and procedures as not to compromise the integrity of the public water system.
Performs related work as required.
- High school diploma or GED. Have 1-2 years of job related experience.
- Any equivalent combination of experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Louisiana Class A Commercial Driver’s License within 6 months.
- Working knowledge of the water district geography. -Working knowledge of water service lines in the Parish.
- Working knowledge of principles of standard maintenance and repair methods.
- Working knowledge of water testing and sampling. -Working knowledge of hazards and safety precautions of work activities.
- Skill in the safe use and care of a variety of tools and equipment required for water service maintenance.
- Ability to learn the location and pertinent features of the water system; to perform strenuous work in water, mud and adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to read distribution maps.
- Ability to protect drinking water from contamination while performing duties.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and follow written and oral instruction.
- Ability to identify and repair minor problems with water lines.
- Ability to maintain simple records.
- Ability to physically walk for long periods, to bend over, and kneel numerous times while on duty.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships as necessitated by assignments.
TEMP TO PERM assignment.