Full-time $16.45 / hour
AM PM Staffing is hiring a carpenter for a client in St. Charles Parish. Under general supervision, performs skilled carpentry work in the construction, maintenance, alteration and repair of buildings and facilities. Employee is responsible for the major and minor construction, repair or alteration of floors, ceilings, stairways, partitions, doors and roofs. Employee is also responsible for performing skilled masonry work, forming and pouring concrete for Driveways, streets, sidewalks, retaining walls and Catch Basins. Also assist other maintenance personnel in a variety of building trades work, such as electrical, plumbing, painting. Work involves drawing sketches of work; reading blueprints; operating a variety of hand tools; and determining supplies needed for various projects. Employee also will also supervise and train a Helper working underneath the Carpenter. Work is performed in accordance with established trade practices. Reports to the designated supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Builds small frame buildings; installs, repairs or replaces partitions, ceilings, doors, locks, cabinets, counter tops, book cases, storage shelves, etc.; performs renovation work in Parish buildings including removing or adding walls, doors, windows, etc., and related hardware; sands, seals and finishes woodwork.
- Prepares surfaces for concrete, digs, forms, pours and finishes concrete for various construction projects such as driveways, streets, sidewalks and catch basins. Estimates needed supplies and tools needed for job; and performs repairs as necessary.
- Trouble shoots and repairs leaking culverts and catch basins Supervise and train a Carpenter Helper working to assist the Carpenter Ability to Operate small equipment such as Fork lift and Skid loader to assist with pouring concrete or loading/unloading material.
- Replaces damaged infrastructure such as mail boxes, metal / wooden fences, etc. that may be damaged while performing other job duties from different departments.
- Must perform the job of a concrete finisher, finish/framing carpenter, rod buster, sheet rocker, painter and etc.
- Utilizes such wood shop equipment as table saws, radial arm saws, miter saws, drill presses, nail guns and utilize various hand tools.
- Utilizes a laser level to shoots grade elevations to make sure water drains correctly down streets to catch basins.
- Makes sketches of projects; reads and interprets blueprints and specifications; and visits the job site to determine the quantity and cost of materials needed to complete a job.
- Hangs and finishes sheetrock, paneling, wallpaper, tile and moldings; installs glass panes; installs suspended ceiling grids and tiles; sets door frames; lays flooring; and applies roofing and shingles.
- Makes replacement pieces for the repair of furniture, repairs stairways, replaces siding, adjusts and repairs door closer.
- Cuts holes for duct work and ventilators.
- Responsible for up keep and safe use of pickup truck with multiple tools assigned to person with this position.
- Assigns and reviews work of trades helpers and laborers.
- Performs related work as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by vocational educational.
- Have two years’ experience in the carpentry field at the journeyman level and two years’ experience forming, pouring and finishing concrete.
- Any equivalent combination of experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license, pass drug & background screenings.
TEMP TO PERM position.