Full-time $10.58 / hour
AM PM Staffing is hiring a Laborer for our client in St. Charles Parish. Under general supervision, performs routine and unskilled manual labor for a Parish Department. Work involves the maintenance and cleaning of culverts, ditches, sewer lines, roads and storm drains; digs and fills holes in the ground and street; polices area and removes bulky trash; removes roots, stumps, shrubs, and hedges using hand tools or small power tools; and may install street signs, direct traffic, clean work areas, wash vehicles and equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs maintenance and cleaning of culverts, ditches, sewer lines, roads, drain pipes, and storm drains; and repairs drain boxes and sewer pipes.
- Digs and cuts ditches to grade; installs pipe in ditches.
- Uses hand tools and equipment such as pick, shovel, hoe, rake, and broom.
- Digs and fills holes in ground using spade, pick, shovel, or post hole digger to set up highway signs, street signs, and guardrails.
- Patches and repairs existing streets; scoops and shovels dirt, asphalt, concrete, and other material to repair pot holes on public streets.
- Spreads dirt, shell and gravel evenly over roadbed or road shoulder.
- Polices areas to collect bulky trash; collects trash and places into open-bed truck; and hauls the materials to a dumping site.
- Removes roots, debris and other refuse from clogged sewer lines and drains; cleans grit, sludge, trash and muck from stumps and catch basins.
- Serves as flagman to direct traffic around road repair work; and may erect and dismantle simple barricades.
- Cleans work areas and wash vehicles and equipment.
- Prunes and trims trees and hedges; cuts weeds, grass, and brush using cane knife or other hand tools; and trims and cuts down trees and limbs; and hauls away debris.
- Attends training class on a periodic basis, as specified by the CETA grant. Performs related work as required.
- High school diploma or GED. Have some experience as a laborer in maintenance and construction. Any equivalent combination of experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must pass background check and drug screen.
- General knowledge of the standard methods, materials and equipment employed in basic construction and maintenance operations.
- General knowledge of the geographical layout of the Parish.
- Some knowledge of the use equipment, materials and tools used in the construction and maintenance trades.
- Skilled in the use of dump trucks, rollers, air hammers, power and skill saws, etc.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy manual labor for extended periods.
- Ability to perform strenuous work under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to learn the safe and proper use of simple hand maintenance and power maintenance tools.
TEMP TO PERM position.